By July 12, 2012 Read More →

Which James Bond is the Coolest?

FacebookGoogle+RedditTwitterPinterestTumblrEmailShare

As a kid growing up one of the biggest topics of debate was: “Which James Bond was coolest… Sean Connery, George Lazenby, or Roger Moore?”  Everybody, it seemed, had their own opinion about it.  I chose Roger Moore because he always seemed to have a gadget he could use and I loved technology having tried, in vain, to master passing for Touchdown Football on my IBM PC Jr.

My father liked Sean Connery and he and I would often debate the merits of each man.  And you’d always had one friend who wanted to be “different” and he’d choose George Lazenby.

“But he only made one movie!” you’d say.

“He was too good of an actor they couldn’t let him make another film” would be the reply.

This was before the Internet so nobody could instantly have the “facts” at their disposal to dispatch an errant point.

Then Timothy Dalton came on the scene and we had four actors from which to choose.

This month, one of the pay movie channels has been showing a James Bond movie each night, at 8pm, and I’ve been watching them.

I don’t have a DVR and my VCR (Super VHS!) was disconnected long ago so if I want to watch a show I… sit in front of the television at the appointed hour and… watch the film.

How quaint.

Having seen quite a few Bond movies this month (some – like Diamonds are Forever – for the first time) I can say that most of the Connery and Moore films are rubbish.

Goldfinger stands alone but the rest..?

Bad.

Sean Connery shines as an actor but the films have poorly written scripts and many scenes are awkwardly shot.  You half expect Roger Moore to wink à la Ferris Bueller and say something directly to the camera like: “That was a close one.”

And I’m not having this reaction because of too many Austin Powers movies, either (Dr. Evil is Blofeld).

These Bond films are just simply badly done.

The first decent film (aside from Goldfinger) which I came across was License to Kill.

Dalton had the poor luck to land the roll just as a lawsuit would delay by six years what would have been his third time in the role.

I think Dalton was one of the best actors for the Bond franchise save for being a touch too serious… but he could have lightened up had he stayed with it.

Pierce Brosnan looks the part, acts the part, and the scripts are quite good, particularly Goldeneye.  Daniel Craig does nothing for me.

But getting back to that age old discussion as to which is the best James Bond?

When you’re young and infatuated with gadgets it’s got to be Roger Moore.  When you get older and like the manly, bold way of taking what you want you move on to Connery.  But because these films are just so far removed from today’s world (50 years at the most) one quickly becomes interested in Pierce Brosnan if only because Goldeneye is such a cool film (and was a great Nintendo 64 game).

Whether Daniel Craig turns into one of those legendary Bonds or not remains to be seen but with audiences flocking more and more towards high end, special effects driven movies with superheros and futuristic visions of society the job of being “James Bond” is getting more challenging every day.

Daniel Craig: 5’10”

Posted in: Blogging, Featured

36 Comments on "Which James Bond is the Coolest?"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

Inbound Links

1. Bond, James Bond | Us Girls..Our Views | November 13, 2012
  2. Movie Review – Skyfall « A Misplaced Boy | November 14, 2012
  1. KP says:

Having seen all the Bond movies (more than once) I have already put Daniel Craig at the top of my favorite Bond list. He can be as mean as a junk yard dog, is physical as a SEAL team member and as somooth as any of the others in a tuxedo or the sack; and he so ripped he needs band aides.

2. Jack Camwell says:

“he’s so ripped he needs bandaids . . .”

HI-FREAKING-LARIOUS.

Well, I’m a traditionalist so I’m going to go with Sean Connery (despite the fact that my favorite Bond film is “Man with the Golden Gun”).
    Jack Camwell recently posted..Credo: The Gate May be Straight, but the Way Is Not So Narrow

• Harrison says:

Wasn’t Connery the star of The Man with the Golden Gun?

• tcall91 says:

With recently seeing Skyfall my order would have to be Daniel Craig, Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton. I have never seen Of Her Majesty’s Secret Service so I can’t put Lazenby on the list. Craig just brings such a raw and human quality to James Bond as opposed to just being a kicking-ass-and-taking-names womanizer.

• Shane says:

Roger Moore was 007 in The Man with the Golden Gun.

• Alidor says:

Connery was in Goldfinger. Roger Moore did Man With A Golden Gun. In my mind, Connery will always be Bond. He made the character.

3. Connery. It’s the attitude.
    edge of the sandbox recently posted..Legal Insurrection Behind Enemy Lines?

4. brent says:

my official ranking would be Connery, Craig, Brosnan, Lazenby, dalton, then Moore. they all had brought something different, and the movies definetly changed tones with actors. Connery, was slow action, Moore was Tongue and cheek, Lazenby charmed, dalton tried to bring the dark side of bond, Brosnan was the perfect blend, and craig is raw and brutish. i grew up in the eighties with dalton but appreciated the character more when i saw Brosnan. i have read the books and seen all the movies at least 5 times each, some much more. It seems to me that Connery was made for the role as the books were written but seeing that the movies were made so long after they were written, they changed aspects of the stories that made them better suited for an actor like Moore in the late seventies. All the actors were good, not all of the actors movies were good though, i think it had more to do with their age and the time they were made then script and plot points. Remember in the end they are action movies as well as spy movies.

• Harrison says:

I agree Connery seems to look the part the best. Craig has a powerfulness about him that is exciting onscreen. The more I see Dalton the more I like his intensity. Shame there were legal issues that pushed him out.

5. joe smith says:

Connery, Moore, Dalton and others, Craig not, bond ended with Brosnan.

• Soe Jmith says:

Get with the times. Your opinion shows how old you are and I am surprised they have computers in retirement homes.

6. MECANO says:

Connery, Craig, Moore, Brosnan, Lazenby, Dalton

7. Jess Smith says:

Brosnan is the best bond, he was the perfect combination of swave and deadly, whereas Craig’s movies are interesting but more Bourne than Bond. Bond is supposed to make it in the world of aristocrats, knock a man out with one blow, but not rip him to shreads. Connery is also great, especially in Goldfinger.

8. Chris Wallace says:

Connery, first, foremost, always and forever. Craig next. Brosnan an also-ran. Moore was TOO corny. Lazenby was just OK. Dalton?..NEXT! Oh, there is no next. M? Dame Judi is tops. Sir Miles (Bernard Lee) close second. Oh, to see Dame Judi and Sir Sean TOGETHER!

9. Big Tom says:

Where’s the love for Dalton?? He is by far the best bond followed by Connery, Craig, Bronson, Moore, and lastly Lazenby. Dalton fit as Bond so much more than anyone else. It’s just too bad the whole lawsuit crap happened, I would have liked to seen more of Dalton. Although, Craig is becoming an excellent Bond. His character totally saved Quantum from being a complete flop. And his ass-kicking scenes in Skyfall were great! Regardless of who is playing Bond, I still love all Bond movies.

10. Tom T says:

Terrible article. You are the reason there are so many bad movies being made today. All the Bond film have their charm, some more then others. You don’t respect the fact that the movies were a reflection of their times and nobody thought they were cheesy when they came out. You’re probably one of those people who thinks every cultural trend that came before now is stupid and your snobby little generation is the only one who gets it, am I right?

Go watch Transformers and Twilight you brat.

11. not that big of a fan says:

Go watch Transformers and Twilight you brat. – Funny

you are wrong but that’s not much of a surprise considering your well reasoned, logically presented points. -Funnier

I haven’t seen bond movies enough times for my opinion to matter.

Brosnan’s were good and he depicted the part well i think, craig seems to pull it off too but i grew up while brosnan was bond, it was weird to see craig take his place. brosnan was a preppy lookin pretty boy. craig looks more like a savage.

• KP says:

“like a savage” is what I think the author originally had in mind. Bond was a brute! That makes Craig an exceptional Bond.

I want to be clear, I love all the Bond flicks and have seen them all several times. Liking one Bond more than another is a bit similar to fielding five NFL players you like and numbering them top to bottom. The bottom are still favorites.

Having said that, some parts of the earlier Bond flicks are not that far off from the 1967 parody with James Coburn, “In Like Flint”.

12. Drew says:

Brosnan made everything believable, funny and interesting. He was serious when he needed to be and funny when he could be. I don’t know anything about the previous Bonds, they would just be british guys in suits if I watched the movies. The only time Daniel Craig seems like Bond is when someone calls out Bond and he looks. Craig’s suave talk with girls appears to be much more from a script than natural. Daniel Craig and Skyfall are disgraces to the rest of the Bond movies.

• You seriously need to re-evaluate your opinion. Nothing from Brosnan’s movies were believable. From the ridiculous scripts (which isn’t Brosnan’s fault) to the fact that Brosnan simply doesn’t even look like he can handle himself in a fight, your opinion is utter garbage. Please disconnect yourself from the internet and refrain from spouting garbage Drew, it would be much appreciated.

13. Irene says:

The best Bond is Roger Moore. Sean Connery comes second. No one else ………….

14. James says:

Brosnan has always took me as James Bond. He has everything the smarts, moves, even the great puns.
    But Daniel Craig reminds me of Dalton and shoot first ask question later type of bond. But skyfall changed everything I thought bad about Craig he was amazing.

15. Darrin Elliot says:

“These Bond films are just simply badly done.”

By that statement alone you have made this entire article rubbish. The James Bond movie Franchise is the longest to date and it was able to do so with cutting edge films. Now I’. 26 yrs of age so I only go back to “license to kill” & “goldeneye” but the 1st Bond films were ahead of its time! Look at the use of foreground and long shots in “Goldfinger” The Bond films were able to do so much with just basic human desires. Now as to pick a favorite this answer could never be conclusive because each bond brought something different. Heres how I see it.

Connery = Swagger
    Moore = Intelligence
    Lazenby = Ideal Brit
    Dalton = Attitude
    Brosnan = charm
    Craig = Masculinity

All Bonds had these multiple traits but each individual actor brought out more of it per film.

• Shane says:

Funny… The man you listed as “Ideal Brit” is the only Bond not from the British Isles. He is an Aussie.

• Harrison says:

I don’t believe I ever used the phrase “ideal Brit” but the man I said was my favorite James Bond, Timothy Dalton, was born in Wales.

• Shane says:

Harrison…pardon the confusion, but my reply was to Darrin Elliot, who in fact pegged Lazenby as an ideal Brit.

16. RilaMountain says:

Pierce Brosnan all the way – by far the smoothest and baddest James Bond

17. Kevin Lin says:

This was a well done article on which James Bond was the coolest but one point stands which you are totally wrong; this being when you said the older films were bad which you are incorrect due mainly at the time period of which the movies were made. Seeing these movies being released then only shows where technology had reached for them cause if they had what we have now they would have made in your mind a “better” movie but in retrospect but at that time it was the best thing they could use and best thing in a cinema. To tell the truth I am just 19 year old which tells you how do I even know how they would have reacted to such a movie in those times this is due to stories from my grandparents and when you hear them talk about “Dr. No and From Love With Russia” you would have think wait they seem to be the same way how we reacted to the trailer for “Skyfall” or the actual movie. Aside from the point in my opinion Sean Connery had that a “swag” to use nowadays term to fit the character just right he wasn’t too funny or too serious same wit Roger Moore but I would say that they both would be the coolest(I know they can be only one hahah). With Pierce Brosnan being James Bond it initially caught my eye and i was like ok lets give him a try but after 2 movies he became somewhat of a cocky version of James Bond I didn’t like don’t get me wrong the movies where great but the acting on his part just through me off. In the case of Daniel Craig he doesn’t catch me as a James Bond watching Casino Royale I was like “where is James Bond” to my friend and she had to point him out to me and I’m serious i didn’t get to watch the previews or catch the part where it said Daniel Craig as James Bond or etc which was shocking to say the least to me and my friend lolol and this also applies to Timothy Dalton and George Lazenby they didn’t grab my attend as a James Bond i was watching most of “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service” starring George Lazenby and “The Living Daylights” starring Timothy Dalton wondering who is James Bond in each scene.

• Harrison says:

There are plenty of movies from the 1960s and earlier that I do not find “dated.” In Like Flynt was sort of a James Bond parody and if you watch this – it’s trying to seem silly – you’ll see how some of those older James Bonds seem dated.

Each Bond was for a different era but I just wish Timothy Dalton had done more films.

18. Tino Faygo says:

In my opinion a Bond movie doesn’t have to give me a raging boner in order to be great. They do however give me a raging boner because they are Bond films. That being said, I don’t think its about who was the best Bond and why but more about loving the franchise. I love Connery as an actor more so than anyone that has played bond to date. I thought he was a great bond as I think all Bonds did a great job. The 007 title gets passed and evolves with each generation and each new era of film making. Asking who is the best Bond is a completely relative question.

All Bonds brought something different to the table and raised the bar. So we see more and more better Bond films as they go. I was raised watching the Brosnan Bond films and now the Craig. Naturally I enjoy them very much as they were the first ones I have seen. Going back and watching the other Bonds just made me appreciate the current ones even more, and love the old ones as well. All Bonds pool from the previous Bonds and expand adding their own elements. Same as Dr. Who, and everyone has their favorite doctor, but they have a greater love for the franchise. These discussions shouldn’t be about dissing others for their taste in Bonds but should celebrate our love for the martini drinking, bad guy punching, gadget using, ladies man that we have all come to love and enjoy.

Also, you can not blame old school Bond films for their horrid plot and awkward story line. You have to remember they were limited to what they can do. I mean I look back to 1980’s commercials and blush! They were awful and cheesy. But at the time seemed oh so appropriate. I respect your opinion, but forming my own i have come to the conclusion that pieces like this have only one purpose. Starting arguments and making people freak out on the internet. I see a few replies that are nice simple and short but a majority is disagreeing with your article or responses to those replies spitting fire back at those people. If you wanted people to truly discuss it, you should have not ranked or declared favorites and talked about who the best Bond was. Instead just talked about Bond and get people to talk about their favorites in an easier fashion. Either way All Bonds stand as equals in my eyes and all are great in their own ways. Can’t wait to see Craig in his next 2 Bond films, hopefully they will be better than his previous ones, I wanna see the franchise keep getting better.