By March 12, 2012 Read More →

Voter ID Laws and the Liberal Stupidity Exception

FacebookGoogle+RedditTwitterPinterestTumblrEmailShare

We know voter fraud is a major problem in the United States and why wouldn’t it be… when I go to vote the poll worker asks for my name and looks to see if it’s on the list.  If it is… I can vote.  There is no attempt made to make sure I am who I say I am or that I even live at the address in their records.

So it was with interest that I read a story on the Think: Progress website (that should have been the first clue) about a brave WWII veteran who had overcome every obstacle in order to vote.  But he was turned away:

Paul Carroll, an 86-year-old World War II veteran who has lived in the same Ohio town for four decades, was denied a chance to vote in the state’s primary contests today after a poll worker denied his form of identification, a recently-acquired photo ID from the Department of Veterans Affairs.

There is even a nice stock photo next to the article of some military guys saluting the flag.  How patriotic.

Why would such a guy be denied the right to vote?

Ah… the answer:

The poll worker rejected the ID because it did not contain an address, as required by Ohio law.

We have the entire problem and solution to the problem!  He didn’t follow the law!

Had this guy been black I’m sure there would have been charges of racism involved by the Left.

He didn’t follow the law!

Do we live in a nation of laws where people need to have at least a basic understanding of what is required or do we lower the bar so low that we all become stupid by extension and beholden to those who take advantage?

The article states the man didn’t drive anymore so he let his driver’s license expire.  What about just getting an Identification Card?  Isn’t it a good idea to carry around an ID card with your name, photo, and address (especially if you’re 86 and drop dead so whomever finds you will know where you live)?

Many years ago I was watching the local news in Washington, D.C. and an engineer was on explaining something and he said:

If you idiot proof the world you make a world full of idiots.

That’s what Liberals want to do to us all because control is easier.

Posted in: Featured, Social Issues

7 Comments on "Voter ID Laws and the Liberal Stupidity Exception"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

1. Steve Dennis says:

“If you idiot proof the world you make a world full of idiots”

Doesn’t that just sum it up! The government keeps stepping in with nanny state laws to protect us from ourselves, but as that happens people no longer have to think for themselves and it leads to a dumbing down of the nation.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Sandra Fluke hired a public relations firm headed by Anita Dunn

2. LD Jackson says:

We now have a voter ID law in Oklahoma. When I cast my ballot last Tuesday, I was required to show my ID. In my case, that is my driver’s license. If a voter doesn’t have a DL, they can acquire another form of ID. It’s not that big of a deal and very easy to do. I hate it that the man in Ohio was unable to vote, but he had to have known what the law required. There is a certain amount of responsibility that we have to assume, I would think.
    LD Jackson recently posted..GOP Delegate Rules – 50 States of Confusion

• Harrison says:

How can somebody not have an ID card? Even if you don’t drive many daily activities like cashing a check, using a credit card, or renting something require an ID card with an address.

To we govern by rule or exception?

3. KP says:

Everybody on both sides wants to protect the individual’s constitutional right to vote. Your constitutional right to vote means you have to be registered. If you don’t register you cannot vote.

It happened to my daughter. She was not denied the right to vote; she failed in her responsibility to register. In the example you provided the man didn’t follow the law.

Should do more to assist others get registered and then motivate them to vote? Of course; that is the number one goal. THAT is the hurdle. Once done, showing an ID is not a hurdle.

As I said on another blog we only vote every couple years. Here is a checklist for voters and voter’s caregivers before leaving home to vote: (1) am I registered to vote? (2) do I have pants on? (3) How am I going to get to the right polling place? Have someone take you, walk, ride your bike or drive. Step one, two and three is enough to remind you or you and your caregiver to bring your ID. For goodness sakes, you are going to VOTE. (4) show an ID (5) cast your vote.

I have been seeing patients for 30 years and no one has ever — ever — forgotten their ID coming into my office. And I see all kinds of patients with or without the ability to pay. I don’t turn any patients away.

In my office, those being charged have felt their pockets (oh my gosh) when it came time to pay and said “I forgot my checkbook”. But even those scammers had ID. Whether the ID was real or not is a separate issue. It wasn’t too many times to recount.

• Harrison says:

People do what they want to do in life and generally don’t do what they don’t want to do. In otherwords, if people were each paid $1,000.00 to vote I bet you’d not only see a very high voter turn out and I’d bet that almost every person would meet whatever requirements there were.

If all comes down to people being motivated to do something. You can’t pass a law to get people motivated and pay attention.

So then the argument comes down to whether it’s really beneficial to have a bunch of people who don’t know the issues, aren’t motivated on their own show up to vote because of mass voter drive/bussing efforts.

4. Matt says:

“If you idiot proof the world you make a world full of idiots”

That is great wisdom. And many of the sheeple would love such a world, until they had to actually live in it.
    Matt recently posted..Occupy Wall Street Running out of Other People’s Money?

5. Or they can write an article about other vets who feel that their vote is minimized because people who are ineligible get to vote.
    This one incident is a fluke.
    edge of the sandbox recently posted..Jewish Liberals, We Need to Talk