Wacky Wednesday: Herman Cain Has an Affair for 13 Years, Runs for President, Doesn’t Think Anyone Will Notice?

Posted on Nov 30 2011 - 1:00am by Harrison
FacebookGoogle+RedditTwitterPinterestTumblrEmailShare

Ginger White derails the Cain Train.

Like almost all mass transit systems, the (Herman) Cain Train suffered from multiple design flaws, the chief one being Bad Judgement.  Hit with allegations that he carried on a 13+ year affair and backed by evidence such as phone records, Herman Cain is simply too damaged to stay in the presidential race.  He didn’t break the cardinal rule of American politics by getting caught with either a dead girl or a live boy, but he was a close second.

Normally we’d say he “allegedly” carried on an affair but all signs from him point to a quick exit from the race for the GOP nomination which is an indication of guilt in my book.  According to a New York Times story, Cain told his campaign that he was “reassessing” his run for president.

Cain denied he had an affair with Ginger White (he said they were just “friends”) but:

Ms. White produced cellphone bills that included 61 phone calls or text messages to and from a number she said was for Mr. Cain’s private cellphone. When the station sent a text message to the number, Mr. Cain called back and acknowledged knowing Ms. White.

Ms. White also said Cain would fly her out to wherever he might be so they could see each other.  One presumes receipts for tickets, hotel reservations, and phone calls can all be backed up with records.

While I might take issue with Mr. Cain’s having carried on an affair for a baker’s dozen worth of years (and denying it), my biggest “Huh?” stems more from the fact that he thought he could run for president and not get “caught” and exposed.

Fellow adulterer Newt Gingrich said that Cain’s alleged “extra-marital affair do[es] not disqualify him as a candidate.”

Cain has brought shame and trouble upon his life, his family, and the Republican Party by being exposed as a lying adulterer.

Sums it up!

And if he had an affair for 13 years, one must carefully re-consider whether the allegations of harassment are true, even if those women most likely have agendas of their own.

Were we living in France (or Italy) or some other “Progressive” nation, Cain’s “indescretions” wouldn’t have hampered his candidacy though, being black, he wouldn’t have even made it to the position of top candidate in the first place.

I admit that I gave $50.00 to Mr. Cain’s campaign.  Someone as cynical as myself got “suckered in” by Mr. Cain’s freshness and appearance of honesty.  After all, he was one of the only candidates I can remember who would tell a reporter “I don’t know” when asked a policy question.

I didn’t think Cain really had a chance (who knows?) but I thought having someone like him in the race with different ideas and an outsider’s perspective was good for the Republican Party so I sent him a small donation for encouragement.

Had I known what he’d been up to for the previous 13 years I wouldn’t have sent his campaign a penny.

The lesson I take away from this is that if you have a dog, you can trust him (or her) but, aside from this, you can’t really trust anybody.

Perhaps this entire episode will be proven to be the work of a woman who engages in “wishful thinking” but, considering she produced so many phone records, I doubt it.

One thing’s for sure… Cain’s goose is cooked.

14 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. LD Jackson November 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM -

I really hate this, Harrison. Even though I was not a supporter of Herman Cain, I thought his campaign was a good thing, for the reasons you mentioned. I also feel for his wife. This has to be devastating for her. I still find it incredulous that he believed he could run and no one would find out. Simply unbelievable.

I did read that he was assessing his campaign. Do you suppose that means he is on his way to pulling out of the race?
    LD Jackson recently posted..Americans Elect: What is the New Third Party All About?

• Harrison November 30, 2011 at 8:35 AM -

I think he sees how he does in Iowa then packs it up and goes home.

2. Matt Keegan November 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM -

Herman Cain’s campaign apparently was built on a wholly untenable foundation. I liked some of his ideas, but his indiscretions finally caught up with him. He not only embarrassed himself, but he humiliated and betrayed his wife and his family. What a shame.
    Matt Keegan recently posted..Giving Thanks & Remaining Grateful

• Harrison November 30, 2011 at 8:37 AM -

Agreed… what was he thinking?

3. Steve Dennis November 30, 2011 at 3:35 AM -

That is the part that blows my mind also; how could he not know this was going to come out if he ran for president? Was he really that naive or did he just not care? Why would he put himself and his family through this? I can’t figure him out on this.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Gunrunner: Eric Holder blames the media for his unpopularity

• Harrison November 30, 2011 at 8:39 AM -

It is for those excellent reasons we ended up in Wacky Wednesday. Who did Cain think he was… Bill Clinton?

4. Dean November 30, 2011 at 9:48 AM -

“He didn’t break the cardinal rule of American politics by getting caught with either a dead girl or a live boy, but he was a close second.”

Harrison, were you just waiting for the Ted Kennedy/Barney Frank counter-point?

Not knowing at the time should not be confused with being “suckered”. Herman Cain was that proverbial breath of fresh air. Though I was not personally on the Cain train, I don’t blame anybody one iota for doing so.

This is why the primary season, despite much of its ridiculousness is so important. This is the vetting process that is revealing that Herman Cain is not Presidential material… a process that we would all have been better served by if it were followed more faithfully in the Dem primaries in 2008.
    Dean recently posted..Video clip of the day

• Harrison November 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM -

Yes… Ted Kennedy comes to mind regarding dead girls.

Regarding the “vetting process” Newt is, of course, a known adulterer and yet he is at the top of the list and prancing around like Little Lord Fauntleroy thinking he’ll be president.

As for me, I will avoid mass transit as much as possible in the future.

• Dean November 30, 2011 at 2:30 PM -

I thought the death bed divorce was de-bunked. Wife sought a divorce before she was diagnosed with cancer. Corroborated by the daughter.
        Dean recently posted..The Doctor is "out"

5. Sherry November 30, 2011 at 11:53 AM -

OH YES, I THINK HIS GOOSE IS COOKED!

6. edge of the sandbox November 30, 2011 at 10:10 PM -

Cain probably thought he’d remain a third tier candidate and will not get this kind of scrutiny.
    edge of the sandbox recently posted..Why Have Kids If Not to Spend Time With Them?

• Harrison November 30, 2011 at 11:26 PM -

Maybe but it is just as easy to think small as to think big!